Monday, June 27, 2011

Hi Friends!

Hi Everyone! This is Jenny, and at the demands of a dear friend I am posting on this blog. . . I’ve been here four days now and everything is going great! I’m happy to say that somehow in five short weeks, my parents have made so many friends that my social calendar has stayed just as busy as it was in Washington, D.C. Seriously, I don’t really know how that is possible, but we have been all over Arusha meeting different people for lunch, coffee, etc. There are such interesting new friends, and an absurdly large number of people from Minnesota (I can’t get away!!).

Otherwise, I’ve been working on my Kiswahili (except today when for some reason a Tanzanian friend and I attempted to speak in Spanish) and eating a LOT. Later this week my parents and I are going to try to go to Lutindi, which, among other things, is known for its tea (I Can’t Wait!!!) and then soon will meet up with Ellie and Luke. During our brief phone conversation the other day, Luke gleefully informed me that he has fleas and Ellie said she will have to throw out most of her clothing, so I can’t wait to hear more of their adventures J They sounded like they were having a wonderful time!!

Today among other activities, we waited to sit in on the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda. Unfortunately we weren’t able to get in (we will try again tomorrow), but we did have a two hour long conversation with a journalist who has been covering the genocide for the past 17 or so years. So interesting, in of course a very depressing way, but I’m definitely hoping to educate myself a bit more.

That’s all for now, off to bed. Much love! Lala salama (that’s my favorite phrase “sweet dreams!”)

Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment